What is Paediatric Neurology?
The paediatric neurology is a special medical discipline which provides the optimal care and welfare for children with unique neurological and neurodevelopmental disorders. These disorders include different types of epilepsy, cerebral palsy, mental retardation, learning disabilities, complex genetic & metabolic diseases, nerve and muscle diseases and a host of other highly challenging conditions. These can be present in unique forms in children.
What is offered at IN-K?
Child neurologist at IN-K is a highly experienced specialist trained doctor who already had vast post-graduate experience in dealing with childhood diseases & then achieved further specialist post-graduate training in complex neurological disorders specifically in babies & children. It is the job of a paediatric neurologist to be familiar with these unusual patterns of neurological diseases and to work to treat them. Paediatric neurologist focuses on the neurological needs of children under 20 years of age.
Multidisciplinary team work at IN-K:
Paediatric Neurologist at IN-K offers a multidisciplinary approach in the treatment of children’s neurological illnesses with his team of other specialists involved in the field of Paediatric Neurology, e.g, Neurosurgeons, Psychiatrist, Clinical Psychologist, Speech & Language therapist, Physiotherapist, Occupational therapist & Special Educator.
Acute Neurological Emergency:
There are a few neurological conditions in children e.g, Meningitis, Encephalitis, Cerebral malaria, Bleeding in the brain, Prolonged Epileptic convulsion, which needs immediate attention from Child Neurologist to diagnose & start treatment so that the child’s life could be saved. Early diagnosis & treatment by specialist doctor also reduces further disability & complications of the disease & prevents long term suffering. IN-K offers full diagnostic & treatment facilities including Intensive Care (ITU) management for infants & children with neurological emergencies.
Headache is a very common yet disturbing & disabling symptom in children. 40% children below 7 yrs of age & 75% of children below 15 yrs of age suffer from this. Headache could arise due to non-urgent causes e.g, familial trend of migraine, psychological stress or it could also be a symptom of other serious illnesses, e.g meningitis, encephalitis, bleeding or raised pressure inside the brain following an injury etc. Some of these conditions might be life-threatening. All of these are treatable if detailed acurate assessments are performed by specialist doctors who are experienced to treat these illnesses.
Brief loss of consciousness or loss of sensation or childhood Stroke:
Sudden onset of these symptoms could be due to childhood stroke or similar conditions. Stroke in children are not uncommon, it happens in approimately 2-3 cases in 100,000 children. These symptoms need to be investigated soon to exclude stroke-like conditions in the children. At IN-K, already 2 children of less than 10 yrs age were diagnosed with life-threatening condition affecting the blood circulation of the brain, leading to successful operation of those children. Another child with similar condition who already had paralysis of one side of her body due to a major stroke, which could have been avoided if she was seen at IN-K before. Facilities for management of childhood stroke are being made available at IN-K.
Muscle pain & weakness / Paralysis of part or whole body:
There are several causes of acute & chronic onset of muscle pain involving different parts of the body. Out of these there are a few conditions whicch is caused by another illness which can cause significant disability if not treated at a reasonable time. Severe weaknesses involving either both the legs & arms with difficulty in breathing or paralysis of the whole body with inability to pass urine & stool are major neurological illnesses which needs immediate medical treatment. Time is a major factor in their treatment as delay in the diagnosis & beginning of treatment only prolongs disability & reduces chance of further complete recovery.
This is a group of disorders of development of movement & posture due to a non-progressive disorder of the developing brain of an infant or child. The pattern & severity of the movement disorder evolves during the childhood which mimics a progressive neurological disorder. Detailed Neurological assessment with varieties of supportive therapies along with psychological counselling, I.Q assessment, help from Special Educators are offered for children with this condition at IN-K.
Paediatric Neurology services include:
- Bimonthly Epilepsy clinic for children with different types of epilepsies.
- Multi-disciplinary care provisions for children with difficult / complex epilepsy e.g, psychological assessment of child’s abilitis, counselling for child & the family, psychiatrist’s support in appropriate cases, help for behaviour management & guidance from special educator for child’ learning.
- Neurology clinic (everyday) for varieties of Neurological disorders in children.
- Management of Neuromuscular diseases.
- Neuro-Intensive Care (ITU) service for treating acute neurological emergencies.
- 24 hour emergency on-call service for paediatric neurological emergencies.
- In-patient service for admission & treatment of neurological diseases in children with specialy trained nurses.
- Neuro-developmental assessment for children with complex neurological conditions e.g, cerebral palsy, mental retardation, delayed developmental skills etc.
- Experienced Paediatric Neurosurgery service for newborn babies upto adolescents & adults for varieties of Operable Neurological disorders with option for Neuro-oncology service.
- Diagnostic service for children with complex neurological problems including high resolution MRI scan, CT scan, full range of neurophysiological investigations, other pathological investigations.